Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Mixed Emotions

As many of you know, Hudson has experienced MAJOR separation anxiety over the last year. It got so bad at one point last winter we were not even able to stay at church for one entire service. We would put him in the nursery, and he would cry for so long without stopping causing them to page us...which we WANTED them to do both for Hudson's sake AND theirs...they are, after all, volunteers. :) However, we were unable to enjoy church because our pager would go off EVERY Sunday, sometimes even before the sermon began.

I joined the gym in August, and Hudson goes with me and stays in the nursery there. The anxiety has been getting much better over the last 5-6 months. There have been a few times they've had to page me at the gym to come and get him, but it hasn't been often. Taking him there 3-4 times a week along with church nursery on Sunday mornings has been really good for him. I watch him through the mirror/window at the gym and although he cries when I leave he usually stops within 2-3 minutes or even less! I don't want him to be sad and upset the whole time I'm gone, but it does make me feel good to know that he would rather be with me than anyone else.

Tonight...he....didn't....cry.

Not even one tear. His little lip quivered a little bit, but he fought the tears and went over to the slide and started playing. I am really happy that he finally understands that I will ALWAYS come back to get him, but I did feel like a bit of air was let out of my balloon.

No comments: